I love green smoothies.
When I first began looking into the Raw Food diet, and came across the green smoothie & juice trend, I must admit that I was skeptical. However, I have been won over!
They are such a fantastic way of getting those leafy greens into your body (which, let’s face it, aren’t always the yummiest vegies to eat), along with all of their fabulous nutrients.
Smoothies are so quick an easy, and can be a snack, or an entire meal replacement. For a crazy, busy life, they are a blessing.
I’ve been experimenting with various combinations, and have my Basic Green Smoothie down pat. However, I felt like being a little artistic this week, and tried creating a layered smoothie. My first attempt didn’t work so well, and it wound up looking more like an abstract painting. Second attempt today worked much better! Here is the recipe if you’d like to give it a try.
RFD Original Recipe:
- 200ml almond milk
- 1 cup baby spinach leaves
- 1-2 kale stems (leaves cut away from main stem)
- 1/2 avocado
- 1 medium banana
- 1/2 cup frozen strawberries
- 1/2 lemon (peeled and segmented)
- 1/2 orange (peeled and segmented)
- 1 apple
- 1 tablespoon hemp seeds
- Put half of the almond milk, strawberries and half the banana into a blender and blend for 30 seconds or until smooth – set aside
- Put remaining ingredients into the blender and blend for 30 seconds or until smooth and creamy
- Put ‘green’ smoothie into your chosen glass
- Pour the ‘pink’ smoothie over the back of a spoon on top of the green layer
As the green layer is more dense, it sank through the pink layer, hence not creating a nice layer. If you want a psychedelic effect, feel free to just pour it in and see what happens!
Pouring the pink layer over the back of a spoon helps it to sit on top rather than funneling down into the green layer.