I must apologise for missing the festivities last week. This week disappeared with alarming speed, partly caused by the busyness caused by my birthday. I was taken out for lunch twice, had cake at the office, and a surprise drop-in by my team. This was particularly lovely, as we are a National team, and are scattered over 2000km apart, in two different States. These are the gorgeous flowers they surprised me with – aren’t I spoilt?
To keep with the theme, my contribution to this week’s Fiesta Friday is my birthday cake. Even though it is a healthy cake, or ‘Fun Free’ as we call it, it still went down very well amongst my chocaholic workmates. I hope you enjoy a little bit of indulgence, sans the guilt!
Angie from A Novice Gardener is the force behind the party, and this week’s event is co-hosted by Hilda @Along The Grapevine and Julianna @Foodie On Board – thanks lovely ladies! If you would like to join the party – click on any of the links in this paragraph to find more info.
Banana Chocolate Mudcake with Gooey Chocolate Icing – from Quirky Cooking
A Thermomix recipe
- 200g ripe bananas
- 150g gluten free flour
- ¼ tsp fine sea salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp bicarb soda
- 30g raw cacao powder
- 60g coconut sugar
- 70g coconut oil
- 140g coconut milk
- ½ tsp apple cider vinegar (optional)
- ½ tsp natural vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 180 C. Line 12-hole muffin tray with cases
- Place all mudcake ingredients into mixing bowl and mix until smooth
- Fill muffin cases approx. half full and bake 25-30mins or until skewer comes out clean
- Allow to fully cool before icing
100g raw cashews
3 fresh pitted dates
20g raw cacao powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
20g pure maple syrup
20g filtered water
- Grind cashews for 10 seconds, speed 9, until fine
- Add remaining ingredients and mix at speed 6 for 30 seconds
- Scrape down, add a little more water if needed, and mix another 30 seconds until smooth
- Spread over cake and decorate with strawberries if desired
The recipe is originally for cupcakes, but can be made into a full size cake by doubling the recipe and cooking for 50 mins. I found this to be a bit heavier and denser than the cupcakes, so would probably stick with the smaller size in future.
The strawberries were my addition – after all, who doesn’t like strawberries and chocolate together?