I’ve always loved muffins. They’re such delightful, well-sized portions of yumminess. And the flavours are endless! They also freeze well, so until I embarked on my raw food journey, I always had a batch of muffins in the freezer for a quick snack.
I truly wasn’t sure how these would turn out, but I was pleasantly surprised. They still have a light texture, and whilst not overly sweet, they are still sweet enough to enjoy.
If you give these a try, please let me know how they turn out!
Lemon and Flaxseed Muffins
- 2/3 cup almond meal
- 1 1/3 cups gluten-free flour (I used Orgran)
- 1/2 cup coconut nectar
- 15 drops of liquid stevia concentrate
- 1 tablespoon gluten-free baking powder
- 140 grams pure apple puree (must be puree, not sauce, and sugar free)
- 1 teaspoon bi-carb soda
- 1/4 cup grapeseed oil
- 3/4 cup nut milk
- 3 tablespoons flax seeds
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- Place all ingredients in the bowl and mix on speed 3 for 5 seconds, then up to speed 6 for 20 seconds
For traditional method:
- Place all dry ingredients into a bowl and combine
- Place all wet ingredients in a separate bowl and whisk together
- Make a well in the dry ingredients and add wet ingredients
- Mix until just combined – don’t over-mix
- Spread mixture evenly between 12 muffin cases and bake for 25-30 minutes at 180 C, until a skewer comes out clean