I’ve always loved tacos, even though I haven’t actually had them for quite a few years. During the recent Raw Food Challenge I participated in with the Raw Food Mum, many recipes were shared; one of them being raw tacos.
That immediately made me go hunting for a recipe. There are quite a few out there, with a number of variations. I chose this one from Eating Vibrantly due to the ingredients used, and fact that it is in fact a salad. It could just as easily be wrapped in lettuce leaves for a more traditional taco-style format, but salads are usually a tad easier to eat in a bowl!
Original recipe from Eating Vibrantly
Raw Taco Salad
Walnut Taco Meat (4 serves)
- 1 cup walnuts
- ½ packed cup sun-dried tomatoes, soaked 2-8h and drained
- ½ tsp cumin
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp salt (adjust to taste)
- pinch chili (or more if you like it hot)
- pinch cayenne pepper
Cashew Sour Cream (12 serves)
- 1 cup cashews, soaked 1-2h
- scant ¼ cup lemon juice
- ¼ tsp salt
- ⅓ cup water
- ⅔ cup ice
Salad (1 serve)
- 2 cups rocket (arugula)
- ¼ cup Walnut Taco Meat
- ½ avocado
- 1 tomato
- 1 tbsp Cashew Sour Cream
- 1 tbsp spring onion, sliced
- Cover the sun-dried tomatoes in water and leave to soak for 2 to 8 hours. Drain.
- Process all of the walnut taco meat ingredients in a food processor until well combined, but still chunky.
- Blend all of the cashew sour cream ingredients in a blender until smooth and creamy.
- Assemble salad ingredients in a large bowl (one per person), serve and eat.
This recipe says it serves one, however that would be one very large serve! I halved the recipe, and it fed both of us quite well. There were no leftovers other than the sour cream, which I’m planning to eat with crudités or raw crackers.
I’m not into hot and spicy, so I skipped the chili powder. There was still plenty of flavour though.
I used semi-dried tomatoes in olive oil, so didn’t pre-soak them.
This is one of my new favourite raw recipes, and will certainly be having it on a regular basis!