Who would have thought you could still indulge in these little pieces of pure decadence on a raw diet?
Once again, sweet treats are not just legal, but actually kind of good for you. Not that you want to live on them, but at least you can still gain beneficial nutrients whilst satisfying your sweet tooth. You have to love that!
I actually have a few different recipes for brownies, from different sources. They all sound delectable in their own way, but the simplicity of this one is what grabbed my attention and made me choose it as my first raw brownie exercise.
Original recipe from Shine On Raw
- 1 ½ cups walnuts
- 8 pitted medjool dates
- 1/3 cup of cacao or carob powder
- ½ teaspoon of vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- 2 teaspoons of water
- Place the walnuts in the food processor and process into small chunks
- Remove ¼ cup of walnuts and put to the side
- Add the salt to the chopped walnuts and process until finely ground
- Add the dates and process until the mixture becomes sticky
- Add the cacao or carob and vanilla and process
- Add the water if needed
- Add in the remaining walnuts and stir through the mixture
- Mould into the desired shape and store in the fridge until required
As per usual, I had to replace some of the ingredients. I didn’t have enough walnuts, so used pecans instead for the main body, and left the walnuts for the larger pieces stirred through at the end
The recipe actually advises that if you don’t have dates, you can use 1 cup of raisins instead. I only had 3 dates left, so elected to use the raisins
Once my mixture was finished, I simply poured it out onto a piece of cling wrap, wrapped it up, and squashed it into a flat square shape before putting it in the fridge.
This recipe is so super quick! Literally 10 minutes, tops.