I have never tried fennel before, but have often seen it in recipes and on TV cooking shows. This week I bit the bullet and gave it a go.
Firstly, I had to do some research on the best way to use it as a raw ingredient. The majority of the advice seemed to be that fennel works well with citrus, and in fresh, summery salads.
Therefore, my dressing is citrus-based (I have never created my own dressing before either, so this is a whole new world for me!), and I included the green apple for that tart freshness.
The verdict at home was “yummy!”, so I hope you enjoy it too.
RFD Original Recipe – Green Apple and Fennel Salad
- 2 good handfuls of mixed salad greens eg baby spinach, rocket, fancy lettuce
- 1 green apple eg Granny Smith
- ½ fennel bulb
- 1 tomato
- 1 avocado
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds
- Snow pea shoots
- Juice of ½ orange
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon allspice
- Cover the base of your bowl with the mixed greens
- Thinly slice the fennel and scatter over the greens
- Dice the apple and tomato and scatter on top
- Scoop out the avocado flesh using a teaspoon to achieve bite-size pieces
- Whisk the dressing ingredients together in a small bowl or jug and pour over the salad
- Sprinkle 1 teaspoon of sesame seeds over each serving
- Top with the snow pea shoots as a garnish