I admit that this had to grow on me a little.
My first mouthful was “mmm…not too sure about this”. However, by the last mouthful, my opinion had changed.
It does require a bit of forward planning, something I’m not always good at. The results are worth it though.
Quick and easy breakfast, packed full of goodness to kick-start the day. Perfect to prepare the day before if you know you’re going to have an early start and need to grab breaky on the run.
Original recipe from The Raw Food Store
- 1 cup raw buckwheat groats
- 1/2 cup nuts of choice
- 1 banana
- Juice of 1 orange
- Dash of vanilla essence
- Pinch of cinnamon and cardamom
- Choice of toppings eg berries and cacao nibs
- Soak groats and nuts overnight, or at least for a few hours
- Blend groats and nuts together with banana, orange juice and spices
- Spoon into a mason jar, sprinkle on your toppings, pop on the lid and refrigerate overnight
- Keeps for 2-3 days in the fridge
I used macadamia nuts, as I love their flavour
I strained and rinsed well the buckwheat/nut mixture, as I found it was a little ‘slimy’
My toppings were frozen blueberries and strawberries, which added their juices to the porridge as they defrosted
I didn’t put the toppings on immediately, and found that the top became discoloured due to the oxidation of the banana. Next time I will be sure to put the toppings on straight away, and plentifully! I would definitely add more toppings next time too, as they mix into the porridge as you eat it and provide lovely texture and bursts of sweetness.
I would be inclined to prepare a couple of portions in separate containers rather than one large mixture as I did this time. I know – just follow the recipe!