Having experimented with making green smoothies over the last few weeks, I have formulated my ‘basic smoothie’.
This can then be tweaked or adapted depending on the specific ingredients I have on hand, and to provide some variety.
When first trying green smoothies, I jumped straight for the kale – not such a good idea. It has quite a strong flavour, and made the smoothies a little hard to take for a newbie. It didn’t help that I just threw some other random ingredients in there hoping that it would taste OK. Not always the case!
Therefore, after some trial and error, I have hit on the recipe for success!
My Basic Recipe (makes 2 serves)
- 250ml coconut water
- Half an orange (I like valencia’s as they are lovely and juicy), segmented and peeled
- Half a lemon (put the whole segments in rather than juicing them), peeled
- 1 apple
- 1 pear
- 1 large or 2 small bananas
- 1 cup of baby spinach
- Several fresh mint leaves
- 4 ice cubes
Blend together until smooth and enjoy!
Alternatives or additions could include:
- Kale or cos lettuce in place of spinach
- Almond (or other nut) milk in place of coconut water
- Add chia or flax seeds
- Add your fruit of choice!